12.13.2009

You are my Evangeline

First off, I'm pretty stoked to see that my favorite Skottie Young comic book cover got #1 on the Top 100 Covers of 2009. Over the past few months I've been following his blog as well as his work and I enjoy seeing artists get the recognition and praise they deserve.


When I was a kid I used to dream about working as an artist for Disney films - not Disney/Pixar, but old school animated Disney. Last night I saw The Princess and the Frog. I understand that there was a big controversy over the racism in the film, but it was so classic and beautiful that I encourage everyone I know to see it.
There are tons of similarities to some of the old classics, for example: The Little Mermaid power necklace, the Aladdin Genie-type musical number, the Lady and the Tramp style accidental kiss, and the Beauty and the Beast morals of love. Even the prissy blonde girl reminds me of a teen version of Darla Dimple from the movie Cats Don't Dance. The songs are original and catchy, with my favorite being the "Almost There" number, where everything reverts to a super awesome Mary Blair-style animation.
And the movie is just so freakin' adorable.
If you ever enjoyed the old movies as a kid, and find you can still enjoy them now, The Princess and the Frog is a fresh bowl of hot and bubbly nostalgia soup.

1 comment:

dunnstock said...

Mmmmmm...nostalgia soup....